I’m in love. The dressing alone on this easy Kale Salad is enough to make me swoon. It’s just a very simple Dijon vinaigrette, but it tastes so good with the earthy kale, crunchy walnuts, crisp apple, and juicy raisins. This salad is fresh, tangy, sweet, genuinely EASY, and makes some very budget-friendly ingredients taste just downright delicious. And because kale is so sturdy, it stands up well to being pre-dressed with the vinaigrette, making this salad great for weekly meal prep!

“This is so good! I’m not usually a big fan of raw kale, but the dressing made it one of the best salads I’ve had, kale or not. And thanks for the tip on cutting up kale; I’m not very experienced with food prep, and those kinds of details have made the recipes on your site so much easier for me!”
Elise
Fresh, Crunchy, and Perfect for Meal Prep
For the longest time, kale and I had a slightly complicated relationship. Not because I didn’t like it, because I do! But I mostly saved it for cooked dishes, and I never seemed to finish the whole bunch before it started looking a little worse for wear in the back of my fridge. Whenever I ate it raw, the leaves felt a little too firm and bitter unless I let it sit with the dressing on for a bit. But sometimes I wanted to dig into my kale salad right away!
The problem wasn’t the kale. I had been skipping the step that makes raw kale so much more enjoyable. I used to think massaging kale was an unnecessary extra step, but then I tried it, and now I understand why people do it. It only takes a few minutes, but it really does help soften the sturdy leaves and mellow their bitter edge. It also makes it easier for them to soak up that delicious Dijon dressing. Add in a tart but juicy Granny Smith apple, some crunchy walnuts, and a handful of sweet raisins, and this easy kale salad completely changed the way I felt about eating kale raw. Trust me on this one.
Recipe Success Tips
- Remove the thick stems and chop the kale into small pieces. The thick, woody stems stay tough even after the kale is massaged and dressed. I like to strip those away before chopping the leaves into small bite-sized pieces. However, don’t throw the stems away! They’re delicious added to a veggie stir fry later.
- Use pre-chopped kale to save time. Pre-chopped bagged kale is pretty easy to find these days and fairly inexpensive (since it doesn’t wilt quickly), so I‘m quite happy to pay for this convenience when the price is right!
- Dry the kale well! After washing the kale, I always make sure it’s as dry as possible before adding the dressing. Extra water can dilute the vinaigrette and keep it from clinging to the leaves. I usually run my kale through a salad spinner. If you don’t have a salad spinner, spread the kale out on a clean kitchen towel or some paper towels and pat it dry.
- Add the dressing a little at a time. I start by tossing the kale with about half of the Dijon vinaigrette, then add more until it’s dressed the way I like it (I usually end up adding it all). Since the dressing is fairly apple cider vinegar-forward, some readers prefer a lighter coating. You can stir in 1 teaspoon of honey into the dressing for a little less tang, if you like!
Massage Your Kale!
Yep, massage those greens and taste the difference! Kale leaves are naturally sturdy and fibrous, so giving them a quick massage helps soften their texture before you eat them raw. You’ll be able to SEE and feel the kale change right in the bowl.
So why should you massage kale, anyway?
- It softens the leaves. Gently squeezing and rubbing the kale helps break down some of its tough and fibrous structure. This makes it feel tender instead of chewy in your mouth.
- It mellows the flavor. I’m sure we can all agree that kale can taste pretty bitter. Massaging the leaves helps break down the compounds that give it those qualities. If you massage it with an acid (like apple cider vinegar, which I use in this recipe) and/or salt, it actually chemically alters the greens and mellows out the flavor!
- It works in the dressing. Because you’re working the oil, vinegar, and seasonings into the kale, it coats the leaves more evenly instead of sliding off and collecting at the bottom of the bowl.
How to massage kale:
- Remove the stems: Strip away the thick, woody stems (some thinner stems are ok), then chop or tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Add some of the dressing: Drizzle the kale with half the Dijon vinaigrette.
- Get your hands in there: Using clean hands, grab and gently squeeze handfuls of kale, working your way around the bowl so all the leaves get some attention. I like to rub a few of the firmer pieces lightly between my fingers, too. There will be a noticeable difference from when you start to when you’re done!
- Watch for the change: After 1-3 minutes, the kale should look darker and glossier, shrink to about half its original size, and feel noticeably softer.


Easy Kale Salad
Equipment
- Mixing Bowls
Ingredients
For the Kale Salad
- ½ lb. chopped kale about one bunch, $1.24*
- 1 medium granny smith apple $0.90
- 1 lemon optional, $0.68**
- ½ cup walnut halves 50g, $1.25
- ¼ cup raisins 35g, $0.47
For the Dijon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar 60ml, $0.15
- 1 clove garlic minced, (½ tsp) $0.07
- 1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard $0.09
- ¼ tsp salt $0.01
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly cracked, $0.04
- ⅓ cup olive oil 79ml, $1.00
Instructions
- Gather your ingredients.
- Remove and discard the thick stems from the kale. Chop or tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Rinse the kale well under cool running water, then dry it thoroughly in a salad spinner or with a clean kitchen towel.
- Chop the Granny Smith apple into bite-sized pieces. For extra protection against browning, place the apple in a small bowl, squeeze the lemon juice over it, and toss to coat. This step is optional, but recommended for meal prepping.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, and freshly cracked pepper to a bowl. Whisk until combined. Slowly stream in the olive oil, whisking constantly, until the vinaigrette is smooth and emulsified. Alternatively, blend all the dressing ingredients together until smooth. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the kale to a large bowl and pour half of the Dijon vinaigrette over top. Using clean hands, gently massage the dressing into the kale for 1-3 minutes, or until the leaves look darker and glossier and feel noticeably softer.
- Add the walnuts, prepared apple, and raisins to the kale, then toss until evenly combined.
- Taste the salad and add more vinaigrette as desired (I used the whole batch). Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Notes
Nutrition
How to Make Kale Salad Step-by-Step Photos

Gather all of your ingredients.

Prep and wash the kale: Remove and discard the thick, woody stems from ½ lb. kale. A few of the thinner stems are fine to leave behind. I just run my hands down the stem and pull the leaves as I go, as shown here.

Now tear the kale into smaller pieces. I like using smaller pieces of kale in fresh salads because it makes the kale easier to chew and eat. If I’m cooking kale, I generally leave it in larger pieces. Place the chopped kale in a colander and rinse well under cool running water.

Dry the kale: Before you build the salad, make sure the kale is as dry as possible. Give it a spin in a salad spinner until there’s very little water collecting in the bottom. No salad spinner? Shake off as much water as you can, spread the kale over a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, and gently pat it dry. The drier the leaves are, the better that AH-MAZING dressing will cling!

Prep the apple: Core and chop 1 medium Granny Smith apple into small, bite-sized pieces and halve the lemon (if using).

For extra insurance against browning, place the apple in a small bowl and squeeze the juice from 1 lemon over top. Toss until all the pieces are lightly coated. This step is optional, but it’s especially handy if you’re meal prepping the salad.

Make the dressing: Now it’s time to make the dressing. Add ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 finely minced garlic clove, 1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp freshly cracked pepper to a small bowl. Whisk until the mustard is fully mixed in and no streaks remain.

Slowly stream ⅓ cup olive oil into the vinegar mixture, whisking constantly. The vinaigrette should become slightly thicker and look smooth rather than separated. You can also add all the dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until the garlic is minced and the dressing is smooth.
Taste the dressing and adjust the salt or pepper if you’d like. If you find the dressing too tangy, whisk in about 1 tsp honey or some sugar to tone it down. But I suggest keeping it pretty tangy because that bright flavor works so well with the sweet raisins and apple.

Massage the kale: Place the dry kale in a large bowl and pour about half of the Dijon vinaigrette over top.

Get your hands in there and gently grab, squeeze, and rub handfuls of kale, moving around the bowl so every leaf gets some attention. Continue massaging for 1-3 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the leaves look darker and glossier, have reduced slightly in volume, and feel noticeably softer between your fingers. Stop once the kale is tender but still has some texture. You don’t want to massage it into mush!

Assemble the salad: Now add ½ cup walnuts, the prepared apple, and ¼ cup raisins to the massaged kale.

Toss well until everything is evenly distributed and lightly coated in the vinaigrette.

Taste and serve: Taste the salad, then add more dressing as needed. I usually end up adding ALL OF IT, but you can stop when it tastes right to you. Give the salad one final toss, making sure there’s no dressing hiding at the bottom of the bowl, then serve!

Variations to Try
This easy kale salad is simple to customize. Swap out what you don’t like or adjust the flavors to suit your tastes. Here are a few of my favorite variations, along with some delicious ideas readers have shared:
- Pears: Swap the Granny Smith apple for a ripe but firm pear for a softer texture and a little more sweetness.
- Dried cranberries: Replace the raisins with dried cranberries for a slightly tarter flavor.
- Different nuts: Use pecans, slivered almonds, or candied walnuts instead of plain walnuts. Pecans add a softer, buttery crunch, and almonds are a little firmer. Candied walnuts make the salad sweeter and I think they’d be especially good for fall or holiday meals!
- Shredded carrots: Swap the raisins for shredded carrots if you hate raisins, but still want some added sweetness.
- Cheese: Add shredded cheddar, crumbled feta, or shaved Parmesan for more richness and savory flavor.
- Honey: Stir about 1 teaspoon of honey into the Dijon vinaigrette to soften the apple cider vinegar tang without making the dressing overly sweet.
Serving Suggestions
Once you’ve tossed everything together, you’re ready to dig into this easy kale salad! I’d happily eat it on its own for lunch, but it’s also really good with baked tofu cubes or sliced grilled chicken. In fact, grilled chicken is my top choice when I’m meal prepping this salad (see below!) Ooh, I also think our creamy pork chops would be so good here because apples and pork just belong together. That pairing would make an awesomely delicious dinner for a weeknight or even a special occasion. For another easy lunch option, pair it with an air fryer grilled cheese for a little crispy, melty goodness on the side.

Meal Prep it!
This fresh kale salad is one of my favorite salads to meal prep because kale holds up so well after it’s dressed. For a little extra insurance against browning, toss the chopped apples with a squeeze of lemon juice before adding them to the salad. Then divide the fully dressed salad into individual containers and refrigerate. It keeps well for up to 3-4 days! Add your favorite protein, like chicken, tofu, or drained and rinsed chickpeas, to make each portion a more filling grab-and-go lunch.
Storage Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. There’s no need to keep the dressing separate, since the kale holds up well once dressed. Just note the leaves will continue to soften and the apples may lose a little crispness over time. The olive oil in the vinaigrette will also firm up in the fridge. I always let this salad sit at room temperature for a few minutes, then give it a good toss before serving again.
Try These Kale Salads Next:
- I’d make this Kale and Sweet Potato Salad for fall lunches because it keeps well in the fridge for about four days!
- This Crunchy Kale Chicken Salad is another way to turn sturdy kale into a filling meal-prep lunch with chicken, almonds, raisins, and creamy honey Dijon dressing.
- Try my Kale Pasta Salad for a satisfying mix of tender kale, pasta, chickpeas, juicy tomatoes, Parmesan, and creamy balsamic dressing.
More Easy Kale Recipes
Our Easy Kale Salad recipe was originally published 6/23/12. It was retested, reworked, and republished to be better than ever 7/25/26.
The post Easy Kale Salad appeared first on Budget Bytes.
from Budget Bytes https://ift.tt/WN9rlcX




No comments:
Post a Comment